I am in my late 70s now, and over the years I have observed some remarkable changes in society and technology. I have also heard my share of predictions about what was supposedly going to happen to us next. Some concerns proved legitimate, some were greatly exaggerated, and others simply faded away as the next crisis took their place. Perhaps that is why I tend to be skeptical when I hear predictions that artificial intelligence could eventually destroy humanity.
Let me be clear: I am not saying AI cannot cause serious problems. Of course it can. Any technology this powerful can be misused, and human beings have an unfortunate history of finding ways to misuse good things. I believe we should take sensible precautions and develop AI responsibly. But there is a big difference between saying, “AI presents risks we need to address” and saying, “AI may become superintelligent, escape our control and destroy humanity.” Those are very different statements.
I remember the anxiety surrounding Y2K. There was a legitimate computer problem involving the way dates had been stored in older systems, and companies and governments had to address it. But around that genuine technical issue grew some frightening predictions about what might happen when the clock struck midnight on January 1, 2000. People were storing dried and canned food because they feared major systems might fail. I remember someone telling me about the potential catastrophe, and my response was something like, “Are you suggesting that on January 1 McDonald’s won’t be selling hamburgers anymore?” I couldn’t see that happening.
My reasoning was fairly simple. McDonald’s and every other major corporation depended upon their computer systems to stay in business. Banks, airlines, retailers and countless other organizations weren’t going to sit around doing nothing and wait to see whether their businesses stopped operating at midnight. They had every incentive to find the problems and keep things working. I see something similar with AI. The companies developing today’s most advanced artificial intelligence are fiercely competitive. They have invested enormous amounts of money, infrastructure and human effort into this technology. None of them wants to cease existing ten or twenty years from now. Their executives, engineers and employees have families too. They have every reason to make sure the technology they are developing remains useful and controllable.
That doesn’t mean they can’t make mistakes. Competition can sometimes cause companies to move too quickly, which is why testing, safeguards and sensible oversight are important. But I think we sometimes forget the tremendous incentive these companies have to keep their own technology under control. There is also another practical matter that often gets overlooked when we start talking about AI taking over the world: AI doesn’t exist independently. It requires enormous computing resources, data centers, electricity, cooling systems, communications networks, semiconductor manufacturing, technicians, engineers and an incredible amount of human-maintained infrastructure.
Before we arrive at a science-fiction scenario in which AI controls humanity, we have to explain how software running on human-built infrastructure somehow gains control over the humans who operate that infrastructure and prevents them from shutting it down. Could someone construct a theoretical scenario explaining how that might happen? Certainly. We humans are very good at imagining scenarios. But imagining something is not the same as demonstrating that it is going to happen.
This is where another lesson from my life comes into the picture. Sadly, human nature is morally deficient. Fame, recognition, influence and money can cloud people’s judgment. I have seen this in ministry. There have been unethical preachers who discovered that conspiracy theories, sensational predictions and frightening messages could increase their audiences and their income. I have watched the same thing happen in media. A YouTube creator may discover that people are growing tired of the usual content and views begin dropping. Then comes the temptation to hype things up. A video saying, “AI researchers are studying a potential safety problem” may not attract much attention. A video saying, “AI COULD KILL US ALL!” is another matter entirely.
That doesn’t mean everyone making alarming predictions is dishonest. I believe many people sincerely believe what they are saying. But sincerity doesn’t guarantee accuracy, and we should never confuse popularity with evidence. That is why, when someone tells me AI could destroy humanity, I want to ask some simple questions: Show me how. What exactly has to happen? What evidence demonstrates that it is happening? What safeguards have to fail? Why would humans be unable to intervene? Which parts have actually been demonstrated and which parts are still theoretical? I don’t consider those questions anti-science. I consider them common sense.
At the same time, there are real AI problems that deserve our attention right now. AI can be used for fraud, misinformation, cybercrime, surveillance and manipulation. Increasingly autonomous systems need appropriate safeguards. Companies need accountability, and governments also need accountability in how they use AI. Those concerns are real enough without frightening people with predictions about the extinction of humanity.
Personally, when I think about AI, fear isn’t what comes to mind first. I think about what it has already enabled me to do. I was introduced to ChatGPT in January 2023, and the difference it has made in my life has been remarkable. In just a few years, I have been able to accomplish things I previously could only dream about doing. Media and music production are good examples. Not many years ago, producing certain kinds of professional-quality media could require specialists, expensive equipment, studios and enormous amounts of money. For someone without those resources, many creative ideas simply remained ideas.
AI is changing that. Today, one person with imagination and determination can accomplish things that once required an entire team and a substantial budget. I can work with music, media, writing and creative production in ways that would previously have been financially beyond my reach. At my age, I find that exciting. Technology hasn’t arrived late in my life merely to make things a little more convenient; it has actually expanded what I am able to create and accomplish.
And I’m certainly not alone. Think about what this means for an independent creator, a small ministry, a student, an entrepreneur, a researcher or simply someone with a wonderful idea but very little money. Capabilities that once belonged primarily to wealthy organizations are increasingly becoming available to ordinary people. That is why I believe AI could become one of the greatest technological blessings humanity has ever experienced.
Will there be problems? Absolutely. There were problems with automobiles, electricity, aviation, computers and the internet. Every major technology creates challenges alongside its benefits. Humanity has had to learn how to manage those challenges while continuing to enjoy what those technologies made possible. I believe we can approach AI the same way. We don’t have to choose between pretending AI has no risks and believing AI is going to destroy us. There is plenty of room between those two extremes for wisdom and common sense.
Let’s develop AI responsibly. Let’s put sensible safeguards in place. Let’s hold companies accountable and question sensational claims. When someone predicts catastrophe, let’s calmly ask for the evidence. But let’s also recognize the extraordinary opportunity before us. Having watched many predictions and technological changes come and go over the years, I have learned that I don’t need to allow the latest frightening headline to determine how I see tomorrow.
I would rather choose evidence over hype, wisdom over fear, and responsible progress over panic. When I look at artificial intelligence today, I don’t primarily see something that is going to destroy humanity. I see an extraordinary tool that is already helping people do things they never thought possible. I know, because I am one of them. And I am genuinely excited to see what we will be able to accomplish with it next.
By Gil Howard-Browne
[www.revivaltimes.com](http://www.revivaltimes.com)

No comments:
Post a Comment