Feb 11, 2011

A road to "nowhere"

By Gil Howard-Browne

Have you ever felt like you were on a road to nowhere.  If you are human and are living on this earth, smile, then you have had such moments, from time to time in your life.  It is usually because you are between the vision God gave you and the next door that you are waiting for Him to open for you.  Or you have simply lost hope, because life has become entangled with problems that seem unsolvable. 

It's a frustrating feeling indeed and can be a cause for concern, unless you are firmly rooted and grounded in trusting God and His word.  The truth is God always has direction for our lives and nothing that we do in this life is so bad that Jesus did not already pay for on the cross.   "God ALWAYS causes us to triumph in Christ" 2 Corinthians 2:14

It's almost like this photo I took back in the early 90's in Michigan at the start of fall.  This winding road going downhill looks like it goes to nowhere, and I have always wondered what was at the end of it and my curiosity has often sparked my imagination.  I have mentally tried to visualize what is around the bend.  Is it a lake full of fish, or a cabin in the woods. Maybe a field of vegetables or an orchard of fruit or a cow pasture.  Needless to say, I may never know.    The gate was locked or I might have been tempted to take a look.  LOL

It was way back in about 1995, when my wife Loraine and I and our two children, Jeremy and Jilleen, were living in a 34 ft motor home and were traveling all over the USA and Canada holding revival meetings. We usually arrived for our next meetings on a Friday or Saturday and if we were not too tired, would visit the local mall or shopping center.   On one such occasion, we were in Traverse City, Michigan, we parked our motor home at the side of the Circuit City electronics store, my favorite back then.  

When I got out of the RV, I noticed the locked gate at the end of the parking lot which was at the top of a low hill.  The scene below the gate was very pretty with it Fall trees and farm road, and prompted me immediately to grab my camera and take this shot.   Whilst it always intrigued me, my wife said, it was beautiful but the road that grew smaller and smaller made her think of uncertainty and vulnerability.

I guess that sums it up quite nicely.  There are two ways to look at any situation.  Even if we don't know the outcome or the next step, God does and His plan and purpose for our lives has never changed.  So when the road seems to go nowhere, we must still trust Him and allow His peace and joy to fill our hearts.  That way if we got sidetracked from His purpose, He can lead us back onto the right path.   

Psalm 23 says "yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"  It's a valley and the shadow means it appears like death, but at the end of the valley there is a mountain and we are surely going to climb it's heights to the next challenge God has for us. 

My friends,  God loves us and has a never ending plan for our lives.  He will make it come to pass and will bless us and keep us in the midst of whatever life deals up.  He is faithful to the end and will make a way of escape for us. 

His word declares "I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." Isa. 43:19   God does not get fazed by our situations and our feelings of helplessness.  His plan is constantly unfolding in our lives.  It is our job to "forget the things that are behind and to press towards the mark of His calling on our lives." Phi 3:13 

God bless you richly.

Gil Howard-Browne
PS: Listen to our free "Worship Podcast"  CLICK HERE 
Our main ministry web site is www.revivaltimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment