Sep 1, 2026

The Secret Place


I want to set my affection on the things above rather than the things of this earth. The things around me can pass away and change, but the things of heaven are permanent and eternal. As I focus on the things of heaven, those eternal things begin to affect me. They bring change, strengthen my heart, lift my spirit, and give me new vision, new purpose, and new zeal. I want the presence of God to fill me until I overflow, because when I overflow with His anointing and presence, there is more than enough for what I need personally and there is also something for me to give to others. I want to overflow with the goodness, glory, presence, love, mercy, and grace of God so that those I come in contact with can get a taste of heaven.

There are times when I face real difficulties physically, emotionally, financially, or in other areas of life, but none of those circumstances change the fact that God loves me with an everlasting love and has His best in mind for me. His answer does not necessarily come when I think it should. If I could see the entire picture and everything God is putting into place, I would understand why some things do not happen when I expect them to happen. While I am waiting for the blessing, I have to maintain my faith and trust in God because He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I can ask, think, or even dare to imagine.

I can place limitations on what God can do when I judge everything by what I see in the natural. I can look at my circumstances and say that I do not have the means, the finances, or what appears necessary for something to happen. Those things can become obstacles in my mind and cause me to think that what I am believing for is impossible. But God can make a way where there appears to be no way. He can put a river in the desert. My desert is not a problem to God. He can bring life where there seems to be death and blessing where there seems to be drought. Therefore, I will seek His heart, refuse to give up, and not allow my circumstances to dictate how I serve God. Regardless of what happens, I will continue loving Him and pressing through.

Psalm 91 shows me what it means to live in the secret place. Psalm 91:1 says, “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain under the shadow of the Almighty.” The secret place can sound as though it is something hidden and difficult to reach, but God never made His presence difficult. Another rendering speaks of dwelling “in the shelter of the Most High.” A shelter is a place of protection. I can come under the presence, provision, and glory of God and remain there.

The key word for me is dwell. Dwelling means staying. I do not enter the shelter for a few moments and then leave. I remain there. This does not mean that I must pray, speak in tongues, or worship physically twenty-four hours a day. It means that as I go through my day, I walk knowing and recognizing that the presence of God is with me. I may be busy working, shopping, doing chores, or handling the responsibilities of everyday life, but I can remain aware of the Spirit and presence of God. My heart can remain attuned to Him so that when the Holy Spirit speaks, directs, or reminds me of something, I am available to listen and obey.

When I dwell in the shelter of the Most High, I can remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty. That is especially important when there is uncertainty around me. I do not have to allow everything happening in the world to fill me with frustration, anxiety, and fear. I know that God has all things under control, and I am governed by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ. The fruit of the Spirit is working in me so that instead of being filled with fear and anxiety, I can be filled with peace and joy.

I do not want the circumstances of life to rob me of my peace and joy. I want to remain stable regardless of what comes. No matter how difficult something looks or how violently the storms of life seem to rage, I can remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty. He is my protection, my guide, and my source of peace, joy, and life. I want my focus to remain on the greatness and awesomeness of God rather than becoming consumed with what the enemy may be doing.

Psalm 91:2 says, “I will say of the Lord.” What I say is important. I do not want to speak myself into defeat; I want to speak myself into victory by saying what God says about me. His Word says that He always causes me to triumph in Christ. Therefore, regardless of what my circumstances look like, I will say what God says rather than allowing what I see, hear, feel, or experience through my physical senses to determine my confession.

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress.” When things are going badly around me, when difficulties arise, and when I do not know how to cope with what is happening, He is still my fortress. That has not changed. I will continue saying what His Word says until I see the victory and the blessing He has for me. Ephesians 3:20 declares that He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I can ask, think, or even dare to imagine. I believe His Word, and I trust Him to bring His promise to pass in His time and according to His purpose.

Whatever circumstances I face, I need to find the promise of God that speaks to my situation and hold on to it. I do not want to continually speak the problem because speaking the problem will not change it. I want to take the promise concerning the problem and say what God says. Whether the answer comes in a month, a year, or at another time, I will continue walking in joy, peace, and the love of God. I refuse to be moved. I want to remain stable and fixed.

I must also learn to lean on and rely upon God every day. Trust is learned as I see God move and experience His faithfulness. When we first stepped into full-time ministry, we had very little except the call of God, the direction of the Spirit, and the mandate to carry revival. As we went forward, God opened door after door. We could not focus on what we did not have; we had to focus on the call of God. I learned that when God calls, He makes provision. Through those experiences, I learned to lean on Him, rely upon Him, and confidently trust Him.

Instead of waking up focused on how difficult tomorrow might be, I want to focus on what the Word of God says. His mercies are new every morning. I want the Holy Spirit to remind me of the Word I have hidden in my heart. When I put His Word inside me, the Spirit of God can bring it back to my remembrance at the moment I need it and show me what to do.

Psalm 91:3 says that He will deliver me from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. I could focus on the dangers around me and become consumed with fear, but that is not where my attention belongs. If I dwell in the shelter of the Most High, remain stable and fixed under His shadow, say that He is my refuge, and lean upon and confidently trust Him, I am placing myself where I can walk in His protection and deliverance. I do not need to spend my life trying to determine everything the enemy might be planning. I need to remain in the presence of God and trust His Word.

I want to walk in victory rather than defeat. Even when circumstances in the natural do not appear to be going the way I think they should, I will continue believing that God causes me to triumph. The things of the Spirit do not always make sense to the natural mind because spiritual things are spiritually discerned. I refuse to allow the natural circumstances surrounding me to determine the condition of my heart. I will say of the Lord that He is my refuge and fortress.

I also want to walk in freedom rather than repeatedly returning to bondage. The anointing destroys yokes of bondage, whether they involve depression, fear, anxiety, or something else that tries to hold me. I do not want to experience freedom today and return to bondage tomorrow. I want to stay free by continuing to dwell in God's presence.

That means I must pay attention to what I allow into my mind. I should not continually read or watch things that depress me or feed fear. Instead, I can worship, enter into the presence of God, and fill my mind with His Word. I do not want rumors, reports, or the confusion around me to govern the way I think. I want to remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty.

I must cast down imaginations and everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. If I continually think on negative things, those thoughts can become rooted in my mind. Instead, I want to think on things that are good, pure, wholesome, and of a good report. I do not want my mind continually creating the worst possible scenarios from what I receive through my physical senses. I want to fill my mind with the promises of God until His Word becomes an anchor to my soul.

I stay free by dwelling in His presence, spending time with Him, listening to the voice of the Spirit, speaking to Him, and putting His Word into my mind and heart. The more His Word fills me, the more the Holy Spirit has within me to bring back to my remembrance when I need it.

Psalm 91:4 gives me another picture of the secret place: “He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings shall you trust and find refuge.” Just as a young bird finds shelter beneath the strong feathers of its mother’s wings, I can remain sheltered under God’s protection. No matter what is happening outside that shelter, there is a place of refuge under His wings.

His truth and His faithfulness become my shield and buckler. I cannot remain stable and fixed if I do not understand the faithfulness of God or know the truth of His Word. Therefore, I need to find the promise of God that speaks to my circumstances and stay with it. I will say with my mouth what His Word says and believe it in my heart. I do not have to determine exactly when or how God will fulfill His promise. It may happen suddenly, or it may take a season. God knows the reason, and I do not have to understand everything.

What I need to know is His truth and His faithfulness. He is a faithful God. He loves me with an everlasting love and cares for me with an everlasting care. Circumstances may try to make me question His love, but God's love is not fickle. His truth does not change because my circumstances change.

I choose to dwell in the secret place. I choose to remain under the shelter of the Most High. I will stay stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty. I will fill my heart and mind with His Word, listen to the Holy Spirit, speak His promises instead of my problems, and trust His faithfulness while I wait for His answer.

My circumstances may change, but His Word never changes. His Word never changes. His Word never changes.

Watch this video on YouTube: 

Thurs. 09-04-2025 “The Secret Place” BC #1,158 


No comments:

Post a Comment