Apr 28, 2011

Thirst cannot rest until it is quenched.

Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God"

In Old Testament times, the word "hart" was used for a male red deer and sanctioned by God in Deut 14:4-5 as clean to eat.  It was thus greatly sought after for food mainly because of it's it weight in meat and fat and the size of it's antlers.

These deer/hart were hunted down using dogs or other means and as such, they would end up running great distances in desert country to get away, resulting in great thirst and panting.
 
David the psalmist, during his shepherding days, had probably seen a hunt on numerous occasions, and had noticed how the deer, fleeing the hunters, panted and thirsted for water.  Coming to a stream,  it would plunge in, drop it's head and drink long and deep, before darting away.

"Lord I thirst after you just like this deer.  Lord I long for more of You."   
 
Thirst forces a desperate and deliberate decision.  Thirst cannot rest until it is quenched.   That's how we should be with God.  I am so hungry and thirsty for more of Him and His presence that I can't wait until the next time I have opportunity to drink from His river of life.   But why wait?  Jesus said "if any many thirsts, let him come unto Me and drink"   Jn 7:37

God makes it available.  It's His promise and all I need to do is make a decision to come and drink.   I don't have to pray, beg, plead or become despondant.  All I have to do is "come to the water and drink"  I spend time in His presence, that's where the refreshing is. 
 
What makes us thirsty?   The answer is simple "lack of water"   We become dehydrated, sleepy and irritable to name just a few things.  It sounds like the way we feel when we lose fellowship with God.   The truth of the matter is, we are a spirit, and we live in a body and we have a soul.   Our bodies need natural nourishment and liquid in order to live.  Our spirit needs to be nourished with the Word of God and His presence. 

Isa 44:3 says "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty"  When God pours water, you have to know it is going to be good and it is going to be plenty.   But He only does that for those that are thirsty.  God never forces His water on those that don't want it.   But He sees the thirsty heart and He will bring refreshing by pouring water upon us.  

He continues in that verse to say, "and floods upon the dry ground."   Not only will He refresh you but He will refresh all those that are around you.  There will be an overflow.   We don't realize how much people need our help.  If we are dry ourselves, we cannot help those around us.   

But He is not done yet.   He continues "I will pour My Spirit upon your offspring, and My blessing upon your descendants"    What a package deal.  Not only do I get refreshed, but my offspring ... my kids and my descendants ... my grand kids.    That is what's amazing about God.  He is so generous in His giving and loves His children greatly and has purposed to bless us beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams.  

Ephesians 3:20 (Amplified Bible)  "is able to [carry out His purpose and] do super abundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]--"


God is never done with us and He never get tired of blessing us.  That's what He accomplished through Jesus on the cross.  He always has something new and fresh for us.  We just have to be ready and willing to receive.  Don't make excuses like "I'm not good enough"   God it not blessing you because you are good, but because He is good. God bless you richly

Gil Howard-Browne

   Worship from one of our revival meetings. 

  http://www.revivaltimes.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful refreshing word and music to soak in I could stand and worship with all my heart. It is like being in the meeting.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete