Mar 16, 2011

When your heart is overwhelmed.

Psalm 61:2   "From the end of the earth I will cry to You,  When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

Rocks are majestic and speak of longevity, strength, endurance, and often beauty.  As a child, I loved climbing rocks and was fascinated with caves. At every opportunity, I would spend hours exploring and enjoying the beauty of the rock formations.  

It is interesting to see the Psalmist, David referring to the Lord as a "rock", his place of refuge.  David knew where his source of strength was, in the presence of the Lord.  I am sure it came from his boyhood days as a shepherd.  There must have been many a time when danger threatened his flock of sheep and he herded them into a nearby cave for shelter and protection.

His prayer here is, "when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock"   Lord, show me the way to the place of safety.  There is a place of safety to be found in the midst of troubling times.  The days we are living in are troubling times.  If you focus on them, your heart is going to be overwhelmed.  

So many families are under the gun so to speak.  Worry and anxiety are a constant companion for so many people and stress related illnesses are on the increase.   But God has provided the ability for us to be protected from all these things.  It's called the presence of God.  It's called the "peace of God that passes all understanding." Phil. 4:7   It is peace that is not dependent on your own understanding.  It's trusting God in spite of your surroundings, plight, problem, situation, lack, sickness etc.  

When your heart is overwhelmed, the "Rock  - Jesus" is the ONE to go to and He has the peace and strength that we need.  So we are to learn how to run to Him for comfort.  It's not as if suddenly the thing we need, to relieve us of the stress we are under, arrives, but His peace fills us regardless of whether the problem is solved or not.  It is not logical and may sound like "sticking our heads in the sand", but it is God's provision for us ... it is the secret place mentioned in Psalm 91:1  "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high"  

The rest of this verse in the Amplified Bible says " shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand]."   Stable and fixed sounds good to me.  Under the shadow implies "influence or protection"   We are to remain under the influence and protection of God's presence.  It's like an immunization against whatever is trying to overwhelm us. 

That's what helps us to "cast down imaginations"      Verse 2 & 3 (Amp) says "I will say of the Lord,  He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!  For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence."

Leaning on and confidently trusting Him to deliver us from the snare and deadly pestilence.  That is powerful stuff and something worth pursuing.     "How do I get into His presence?" you ask.   It's a cultivated behavior, something I learn to do and comes from positioning my self to receive His blessings, by worship, reading His word, prayer and fellowship.

It is like walking under the umbrella during the storm.  The rain is all about you but you are not affected because you are protected by the umbrella covering.    Even though there are issues and problems all around you, they do not overwhelm you because He is your fortress and strength.   

David the Psalmist says in Ps:23  "Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for though art with me."   He is our refuge and strength, a very present help in a time of trouble." Ps. 46:1  

See the blog "God will keep you in Perfect peace" CLICK HERE 
Also  "Be of good cheer - Jesus overcame the world" -  CLICK HERE


God bless you richly.

Gil Howard-Browne
PS: Listen to our free "Worship Podcast"  CLICK HERE 
Our main ministry web site is www.revivaltimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment